September 2012 Renovation Newsletter
In this issue of reVISION’s Renovation Newsletter:
- You Be the Designer
- Successful Home Renovation Steps
- Tips to Refresh Your Home for the Fall
- 3 Tips for Creating a Basement Room
- reVISION reCOMMENDS…
You Be the Designer
Keep up to speed with reVISION’s projects on Facebook and get involved in our conversations! “You be the Designer” is a new feature on our page, come join us and help us choose final finishes for our projects!
3 Tips to Designing Your Outdoor Space
A smooth and pleasant road through the transformation is possible and can be extremely exciting and rewarding….if you plan right.
- Do your homework – Have a clear vision that will consider your long term lifestyle needs is imperative to your renovation.
- Know how much you can afford – There are many financing possibilities through personal loans, lines of credit, home equity loans and even grants.
- Look for a professional renovator – For high quality results and service that will ease the process, you need to work with a professional.
- Choose your contractor and check references – Narrow down the renovators you feel most comfortable with and interview them.
- Work out a contract – Don’t just go with the lowest bid. Make sure everything is in writing, from work to be done to the payment schedule.
- Plan how you will live during the renovation – This can be the most stressful part so take everything into consideration. Your renovation contractor will have tips to assist you in “surviving” the renovation.
- Establish a good working relationship with your renovator – Trust is essential. Communication lines should be open at all times for progress reports and decisions you may have to make on short notice.
- Stick to the original plans – In order to stay close to the original price and schedule, changes should be kept to a minimum.
Tips to Refresh Your Home for the Fall
- Update the Flooring – Consider the function of your renovated rooms when choosing flooring for the space: a playroom will benefit from a soft floor made from play mats or carpet, while laminate or hardwood flooring will add warmth to living areas.
- Replace Kitchen Countertops and Add an Island – Countertop finishes add colour, shine and personality to a kitchen. Make sure to speak to your builder or designer about the pros and cons of the materials you’re interested in before making a decision. If you’ve got the square footage to spare, an island can also be a practical addition to a kitchen. Family and guests tend to congregate in the kitchen and an island with counter height stools offers a smart seating and dining solution.
- Install New Trim and Moulding – Add new architectural details such as wainscotting, crown moulding and baseboards.
- Create More Space by Adding Built-in Storage – Built-in storage looks sophisticated, saves space and can add more function to your living area.
3 Tips for Creating a Basement Room
If you’re running out of space in your home, it may be time to take a peek into the basement. Odds are, this typically underused room isn’t living up to its potential. It could be transformed into an additional bedroom or recreation room.
- Insulate – Change the basement from noisy and chilly to quiet, cozy and comfy by adding good quality insulation in your walls and/or ceiling.
- Lighting – Choose the right lighting, add sconces, ceiling fixtures or recessed lighting evenly spaced around the room.
- Add charm – Basements are usually short on natural light so substitute the sun’s effect with warm golden wall colour.
Home Legend Horizontal Toast Bamboo Flooring
[image_frame style=”framed” align=”right” alt=”Home Legend Horizontal Toast Bamboo Flooring” title=”Home Legend Horizontal Toast Bamboo Flooring” height=”150″ width=”150″]https://www.revisionrenovations.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/photo-201209-01.jpg[/image_frame]
High Density Fiberboard (HDF) 3/8 in. Bamboo Flooring is a unique construction that retains superior strength and durability. This flooring has an excellent body for modern and classic homes. The prefinished flooring has a 7-layer Aluminum Oxide finish providing protection from everyday wear. This product has achieved Greenguard Indoor Air Quality Certification and has been tested for more than 10,000 volatile organic compounds, including formaldehyde, to meet these standards. The glueless installation is easy and economical above grade, on grade and below grade. This bamboo flooring style will provide many years of comfort in your home.
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any future requests on trends you would like us to talk about in our upcoming newsletters.